From Week 1’s readings on the Forward, Introduction, Ch. 1, and Ch. 2 in Mark Briggs’ Journalism Next book, I would like you to remember:
- The online resources:
- That this class exists to help you prepare for that first internship, for that first job out of college, and for that job in 20 years from now. How does this class accomplish that?
- Encourages technological curiosity.
- Encourages storytelling curiosity.
- Instills experience and confidence in getting your feet wet and muddling through.
- Explore RSS Reader Apps and create customized RSS feeds about what you need to know in your preferred field OR use Twitter (via Hootsuite or TweetDeck) for an RSS-like feed for your needs.
- More than 1/4 of all websites use the WordPress content management system (CMS)! This is a very important skill to put on your resume: “Experience with CMS (WordPress)”. Sell it to potential employers!
- Maintain a blog that you’re passionate about by choosing to report and discuss stories that spark your curiosity. The audience can sense your enthusiasm through your writing, tone, visuals, style, etc. If you want to keep readers interested, then you should stay interested in the content yourself!