UW Bookstore should have 20 copies of used books by this afternoon or tomorrow. You should be able to get a copy by Wednesday’s class and catch up on the assigned readings. See syllabus for assigned readings that you missed. We will discuss readings briefly on Wednesday.
Readings for Today
How many people were able to read the assigned reading for today?
- If at least half of the class read it, then pair up students with student who could read and student who couldn’t read it. Student who read should discuss what they learned and their top 5.
- If hardly any students could read the readings, then move on to WordPress workshop.
Download The Blog-Post-1-and-About-Page-Setup Assignment — Due Tonight by 11:59 p.m.
- Create a WordPress account
- Make a title for your blog
- Update the tagline
- Changing the time zone on your blog
- Create an “about” page
- Your name.
- Some demographic information, such as where you are from and what your family is like.
- What the purpose of this blog is (e.g., it’s to showcase your storytelling work).
- Some interests and what you like to do in your spare time.
- Your career goals.
- Linking to other web pages
- Posting photos and inserting other media or files
Write Your First Blog Post
- Create a new post
- Using categories
- Using tags
- Saving drafts
- Publishing the post
Guidelines To Follow For Blog Writing
- Update frequently
- Write in the first-person (i.e., “I think) and use conversation-style that shows your personality
- Provide specific headlines
- Provide links elsewhere to helpful information
- Allow readers to comment and comment back to readers
- Are ongoing conversations among members of a community
- Can be your professional portfolio, journal, or brainstorming session
- Embed photos, video, audio, and other multimedia features
- Are relatively short, usually less than 800 words
Logging In To Your WordPress Account
IMPORTANT: To log in to your WordPress blog, you can visit your blog url plus a “/wp-admin” at the end of the url. For example, to edit my blog, I go to “http://uwyojournalism.com/wp-admin”. Alternatively, you can sign in through WordPress.com.