Quiz #3 on Information Graphics
Reminder: Information Graphics (Blog Post #5) Due Tonight, April 2, by 11:59 p.m.
How Social Media is Used by the Big Three Media Fields
Social media is for you. The aspiring journalist, sports commentator, marketing executive, advertising director, or public relations manager, all of these fields rely on social media now.
You can use social media:
- To help you create a presence and voice
- To promote your stories or your products
- To search for story ideas and sources
- To network with others in your field
- To engage with your audience, start a conversation
No doubt, social media is changing our media world. Let’s review some resources.
Please choose to review either the journalists, PR, or advertising sections below.
Review each link in your chosen section.
Write down 3 things that you’d like to share with the class about what you learned from reading these articles in your section.
Then, meet with a small group of 3 people who examined the same field as you. Decide as a group what the top 3 things are that you’d like to share with the class.
- Three charts about how journalists are using social media
- Facebook for Journalists: Tips from Facebook about how to use Facebook effectively as a journalist
- Twitter for Journalists: Tips from a social media editor at BBC News
- Snapchat for Journalists: Tips from an industry expert and professor
- Instagram for Journalists: Tips from the Poynter Institute, a nonprofit leader in journalism education
- Public relations
- How Under Armour makes its Snapchat ads in 5 seconds or less
- Report: Just under 400 brands ran video ads on Snapchat Discover channels in past 3 months
- Snapchat video ads outperform other social media platforms: Information on social media from Business Insider
- Facebook Releases Campaign Planner Ad Tool: This Week in Social Media: Tips and updates from the Social Media Examiner website
- Facebook’s Getting Started with Campaign Planner
There are also some helpful hints that could apply to journalism, public relations, and advertising. Keep up to date on these hints for social media at Social Media Examiner. Here are some of the most helpful posts and lessons that I’ve discovered on this website:
- 10 Ways to Increase Your Facebook Engagement
- 3 Video Storytelling Tools for Social Marketers
- 5 Tips to Build More Loyalty With Your Twitter Fans
- 8 Essential Elements of a Social Media Marketing Strategy
Critical Analysis and Comparison of Two Organizations’ Social Media Management
Blog Post #6 Due on Mon. 4/16 by 11:59 p.m. | Presentations of Results on Wed. 4/18 and Fri. 4/20
For Blog Post #6, you will write a critical analysis and comparison of two organizations’ social media management styles. Download Blog Post #6 for details. Here’s the short version of the assignment:
- As you sit down to do your analysis, be sure to review these links above that we’ve reviewed.
- Use the specific advice offered in these articles as you conduct your analysis.
- Examine the 6 major social media platforms noted in the assignment: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, and LinkedIn.
- Take notes of your experience. Your notes should be grounded in the advice from the articles. Your notes will be the basis and foundation for your blog post.
- Answer all required questions in the assignment (broadly speaking, you must compare the organizations’ social media presence, suggest three reasons why each organization is using social media effectively, and three pieces of advice for each organization).