Week 10 Plan
- Share ideas about how you could use crowd-powered collaborations in your future media job. Write down your response on a paper with your name. This should be a short paragraph or two.
- We will review online articles that provide tips on social media for journalists, PR, and advertising careers.
- After that, we will start to review Twitter.
- For Friday:
- Review Blog Post #6 on Live-Tweeting.
- We complete an in-class assignment on live-tweeting a speech on YouTube.
How Social Media is Used by the Big Three Media Fields
Social media is for you. The aspiring journalist, sports writer, marketing executive, advertising director, or public relations manager, all of these fields rely on social media now.
You can use social media:
- To help you create a presence and voice
- To promote your stories or your products
- To search for story ideas and sources
- To network with others in your field
- To engage with your audience, start a conversation
No doubt, social media is changing our media world. Let’s review some resources.
Please choose to review either the journalists, PR, or advertising sections below.
Review as many links in your chosen section as possible.
Write down 3 things that you’d like to share with the class about what you learned from reading these articles in your section.
Then, meet with a small group of 3 people who examined the same field as you. Decide as a group what the top 3 things are that you’d like to share with the class.
- Three charts about how journalists are using social media
- Facebook for Journalists and Digital Courses for Journalists: Tips from Facebook about how to use Facebook effectively as a journalist
- Twitter for Journalists: Tips from Twitter about how journalists can use the platform
- Snapchat for Journalists: A beginner’s guide to Snapchat for journalism
- Deep Dive into Snapchat for Journalists: A journalist and professor provides more detailed advice
- Instagram for Journalists: Tips from the Poynter Institute, a nonprofit leader in journalism education
- Instagram Stories Tips: Tips from the International Journalists’ Network about how to use Instagram Stories to share and promote content
- Three Ways Social Media Works for Public Relations
- Winning Social Media Strategies For Public Relations
- 12 under-the-radar Instagram writing tips brands should use
- Facebook’s Getting Started with Campaign Planner
- 5 Successful Social Media Campaigns You Can Learn From
- Report: Just under 400 brands ran video ads on Snapchat Discover channels in past 3 months
- Snapchat video ads outperform other social media platforms: Information on social media from Business Insider
- 7 of the Best Social Media Campaigns (And What You Can Learn From Them)
Social Media Tips for Everyone
There are also some helpful hints that could apply to journalism, public relations, and advertising. Keep up to date on these hints for social media at Social Media Examiner. Here are some of the most helpful posts and lessons that I’ve discovered on this website: