Class Discussion & Blog Post
For our class discussion today, we will focus on marketing, advertising, and consumerism. We will watch clips (“The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “The Science of Selling”) from a Frontline documentary about “The Persuaders”. You’ll write a short blog post about the questions below and then we’ll discuss the issue as a class.
- Did anything surprise you about the videos? Have you ever noticed product placement and advertising integrated into your entertainment shows before? Can you think of any examples?
- Do you think the practice of integrating advertising and entertainment is ethical, appropriate, and acceptable? Or, do you think this practice is irritating, unethical, or inappropriate?
- What was the marketing expert arguing on the video clip about marketing, emotion, identity, and our inner desires? What was his message?
- To what extent do you “buy” or believe what the marketing expert was arguing on the video? Does it make sense?
- Do you have any other thoughts about the video clips you saw?
Today we will wrap up the profile, for those of you who haven’t finished yet. And, we will continue the audio editing for the short audio clip.
The only formal instruction material for today is the SoundCloud tutorial. Let’s finish that and then work hard on our projects!